Saturday, July 23, 2011

Kung Fu Panda... 3? (may contain spoilers)

Watched Kung Fu Panda 2 earlier this week. As childish as I am, instead of normal coke and popcorn, I got the collectible KF Panda set :)

On Storyline: I was surprised they didn't address the Goose Daddy / Panda Son issue in KFP 1. Now the reason's obvious - they were gonna make KFP 2. Po is, obviously, adopted. But I am guessing they are gonna make a KFP 3, because in the absolutely last minute of the movie, Po's biological panda-dad appears (for the first time ever) and says "My son is still alive..." I am excited and annoyed at the same time. What does that imply? I love Goose Daddy though, he is one of the best supporting characters, I love him more than the Furious Five. His love for noodle and Po is so pure and simple. I am actually glad that KFP 2 doesn't elaborate on the Po / Tigress friendship. Be awkward if a Panda and a Tiger falls in love.

On cinematic reference: Two scenes in KFP 2 (I think) make strong references to Chinese martial art movies. #1: Po's first encounter with the evil peacock Lord Shen is in a pagoda, where Po runs up a flight of stairs and fights Shen. This scene reminds me of Bruce Lee's "Game of Death", in which the whole movie is about fighting through and ascending to different levels in a pagoda. #2: The critical moment of the movie - Po uses his feet to draw the Tai Chi sign, finds inner peace, then catches and deflects firing cannonballs and subsequently defeating Lord Shen. This scene really resemble the last match in Shaolin Soccer, when Mui (Vicki Zhao) use Tai-Chi to slow down and catch a fiery exploding soccer ball. Even the special effects look similar (even though KFP 2 is a cartoon and Shaolin Soccer is not).

On entertainment value: I watched both KFP 1 & 2 in 3D. I watched KFP 1 in IMAX, and honestly, I was a bit dizzy afterwards. I am glad there are just enough but not too much 3D effects in KFP 2. The movie's funny, I laughed most of the 90 minutes. Definitely worth watching.


Kung Fu Fighting...

Kung Fu - Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment